How to Get a Bid
You must always remember that fraternity recruitment is a two way street. It isn’t only about learning about the fraternity, they want to learn about you as well.
One of life’s most important lessons is that if you want to get what you want, you have to give what someone else wants.
For you, this means to get a bid you must be able to give the fraternity what they want in a new member. Below are seven things the fraternity is looking for in new members:
1) Most importantly, fraternities are looking for people they like. Fraternities are membership organizations that are based on friendship. If the brothers don’t like you, then nothing else really matters.
2) Fraternities are always looking for guys who can recruit new members. Fraternity recruitment is the most difficult part of the life of a chapter. Unfortunately, there just aren’t that many guys who are good at it. If you can show a fraternity that you can help them recruit, that will be a big feather in your cap.
3) Fraternities are looking for good athletes. Fraternity intramurals are important. Winning at fraternity intramurals is more important. Fraternities are always looking for guys who can help their chapter win.
4) Fraternities are looking for good students. Chapter GPA is important. Having a brother who takes his studies seriously is an asset to the fraternity. A fraternity cannot get enough of these guys.
5) Fraternities are looking for leaders. One of the great things about fraternity is chapter leadership changes every year, if not sooner. This means that the fraternity will need guys to quickly step up into leadership roles. It is not uncommon to be a new member as a freshman, and be president at the beginning of your junior year.
6) Fraternities want guys who are involved on campus. Fraternity men are well rounded, and strong chapters are proud when their brothers hold leadership positions outside the fraternity. Brothers who are RAs, in student government and are varsity athletes bring great credit to the fraternity and are always in high demand.
7) Fraternities like guys who are popular with girls. If you have this trait, you instantly gain credibility in the eye of the fraternity. The reason for that is every fraternity knows how important it is to have girls around. It is critically important that they have a positive opinion of the brotherhood. If you are popular with girls, you need to be able to show the chapter this by bringing your friends or girlfriend by the house.
Your goal during fraternity rush is to show the brothers that you possess as many of these qualities as possible. This is how you get a bid.